Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My Boss Thinks I'm a Twit

by Steve Fodor

Whenever I mention Twitter as a marketing venue, my boss does a little smirk and I sense apprehension on his part.

I really can’t disagree with that sense of apprehension because I share it myself. Over the brief course of the last six months or so, here’s a small sampling of what I’ve read and heard regarding Twitter as a marketing tool:

“Twitter has jumped from early adopter oddity to mainstream sensation.”

“Twitter is fast becoming a go-to tactic for business-to-business and business-to-consumer marketers.”

“As of February 2009, there are over 7 million users on Twitter, an increase of over 1,300% from a year before.”

“Over 60% of new Twitter users will drop out and cease participation in 30 days.”

What’s the verdict? I’ll give you a very definite “maybe” at this point. It’s still being defined. Some use it as a research tool. I’ve heard of some “Tweeting” at trade shows, saying “what’s going on in our booth.” Some companies let customer service representatives interact with customers via Twitter, creating new avenues for relationship building. It’s “speculative” at best to measure viewership with Twitter. And it does not tie in with search engine optimization programs as do blogging and keyword search strategies.

I’m not dismissing Twitter (hey, my cat has over 200 followers). How we use all new social media is evolving. How we define these new mediums as marketing tools is limited only to our creativity. The possibilities are endless and, I’m sure, will become even more defined and measureable over time. So keep your eyes, ears and Twitter accounts open and see what evolves over the next six months.
Flickr Photo Credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/scobleizer/

No comments:

Post a Comment