Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Value of a Big Idea


by Steve Fodor

People often ask me, “What’s your favorite ad of all time?” Well, I have several, but one in particular stands out.

I love this ad (at right) for Volkswagen done by Arnold Communications and DDB Worldwide in 1979. Why? It’s simple and extendable. It makes the point by letting the reader reach the conclusion themselves, not by pounding a list of benefits into the reader’s head. Even the look of the ad says “simple” and “out of the ordinary” – Volkswagen brand attributes from my point of view. And the ad is timely, and timeless. It was developed during the oil embargo in the late 1970s. But it’s just as relevant today. What more could you ask for from an ad?

Whenever I show this ad as my favorite, people look at me and say, “Give me a black marker and a piece of paper and I could do that ad in about 30 seconds. Probably could draw the picture better, too.”

The value of a big idea and creativity is priceless. It’s much more than pretty pictures and execution alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment